Fire Hazard Reduction & Management
MI Helicopters can employ aerial incendiary methods for hazard reduction and fire management. The use of these aerial options, when compared to ground lighting, has been shown to be safer and more effective.
Aerial incendiary methods have many advantages over ground based fire lighting such as the ability to cover large areas within a short timeframe and the obvious advantage of having a birds eye view of the task at hand. Airborne fire lighting also results in less personnel on the fire ground and the fewer people in a fire environment, the better! Another advantage over lighting from the ground is that it can be observed and mapped (GPS/moving map) from the air. If the fire jumps a firebreak the ground crew can be quickly directed to the affected area.
MI Helicopters offers a range of helicopters to suit all environments with knowledgeable, experienced pilots.
The Red Dragon Incendiary Device
The Red Dragon is a helicopter-mounted device that is used to dispense aerial spheres that ignite controlled or prescribed burns. The primary function of the Red Dragon dispenser is to inject a measured amount of ethylene glycol into ‘Dragon Eggs’ (which initiates a timed exothermic reaction). The dispenser then expels the primed spheres from the aircraft.
The Red Dragon is controlled using a hand-held remote which allows the operator to select various dispensing speeds. This level of control represents a significant advancement over the past where the helicopter would have to change speed to achieve the same result. In addition,this rate control enables the dispersal of Dragons Eggs in perfect concentration levels, to match the terrain below.
The Red Dragon dispenser provides a number of unique advantages over older systems including:
- Seven different drop rates that can be instantly selected by turning a dial.
- Micro-processor controlled motor/feed gates that eliminate jamming via automatic jam detection and clearing.
- Fixed-displacement pumps that deliver the same amount of chemical, no matter what speed is selected.
- A safety system that utilizes a back-up battery to ensure on-board fire protection at all times.
- Variable dispense rate from 25-175 eggs per minute.
- Quick purge system for maximum safety.
- Smaller size frees up more room inside aircraft.
- Increased hopper capacity provides enhanced performance.
- Variable speed settings which can be changed on the fly.
Water Hog Firefighting Bucket
MI Helicopters also utilises the Water Hog fire fighting bucket for fire suppression activities. Water Hog buckets are used by fire fighting agencies around the world and have been developed and manufactured in Australia. The Water Hog provides significant advances over other bucket systems available including :
- Single Composite Valve
- 500 mm (19.6”) Diameter Composite Base
- Removable Stainless Steel Rim
- Stainless Steel PVC Coated Certified Rigging
- Compact 24 VDC Control Box
- Multi Drop / Variable Drop Function as Standard
- No Control Head